Monday 17 March 2014

Talking about the Weather

Enjoying the Rainbow over Malolo LeiLei.
The traditional thatched roof is covering a 4000 sq. ft. vacation home
but the view is pleasing just the same
I guess we live outdoors now... I hadn't really thought about that much before? I know that sounds funny but everything is new and, well, I just hadn't really thought about it much. I noticed the difference with the passing of our first really big thunderstorm. The photos before are of a cute and friendly storm, the one I am talking about was somewhat more sinister...

Rain squall hits the Musket Cove Yacht Club
At times like this I suppose one falls back on our childhood learning -- in my case the total of my collected wisdom was to "pull the Sunfish up onto the beach and go inside to start (or continue) a game of Risk." Obviously I am going to have to either get a Risk Game, or learn more about lightning.
30 seconds later
Not to worry because our boat was fairly well equipped with technical resource books and, well, it was raining outside so I dug right in. The answer to my questions would be in Nigel Calder's Mechanical and Electrical Manual, How to Maintain, Repair, and Improve Your Boat's Essential Systems -- or else it didn't exist.

For those unfamiliar with Calder's opus, it is about 700 pages written in six point text. I noticed early in my search that I must have an older version because even when I pinch my fingers over the pages I could not enlarge the font?

Our friends from Vuda Point. Note that there is no dinghy floating behind.
They had taken a wee excursion in their 8' inflatable to the main island.
We noticed them paddling back just before dark.
I did preserve though and was able to learn that lightning on a boat can have dramatic and dangerous consequences -- and if you are lucky it won't hit you. There are some pathetically inadequate precautions one can take, and the boat seems to be in good shape that way but I think we will need to follow the tried and true strategy of finding a bigger boat, mooring beside them, and hope it hits them instead of us.

The iPhone doesn't fully capture the grandeur of the rising full moon.
Just have to close your eyes and see it that way I guess.




No comments:

Post a Comment